Just had some fun on food pairing tonight as didn't do it for quick a while. I was having the smoky BBQ ribs for dinner which was the excess food from the house-warming grilling party last night. I randomly picked a few different drinks to try to pair with the ribs and see if they match each other:
1. Danish craft beer- To Øl Blossom American Wheat
2. Peaty and smoky Scotch single malt whisky from Islay- Finlaggan Eilean Mor 46%
3. Unpeated Scotch single malt whisky from Islay- Bunnahabhain Eirigh Na Greine Batch#01 46.3%
The result was quite interesting:
- the beer was too "hoppy" and a bit bitter for the ribs.
- Finlaggan was way too aggressive and smoky for the ribs that took away the sweetness from BBQ sauce.
- Bunnahabhain was surprisingly very good match with the ribs. It enhanced both the sweet taste of the drink itself and also the ribs. The whisky became more intense, complex and attractive with the ribs together. It was the winner of tonight!
This is the funniest part for food pairing. You never know if the drinks do match well with food from theoretical knowledge, and you must have to try and taste to know what chemical reaction will be created.